This Department is responsible for providing essential electro-technical engineering services to the community. Apart from the operating, maintenance, upgrading and extension of the electrical networks – 66Kv, 11 kV and low tension networks, the department is also responsible for maintenance to electrical components.
The department has the following three operational sections:
- Electrical Construction;
- Responsible for all capital projects and tenders;
- Responsible for all externally funded projects and tenders; and
- Monitors, oversees and incorporates all new developments.
- Electrical Distribution and Control
- Responsible for operating and maintenance of 66kV, 11kV and low tension networks, as well as other functions e.g. streetlights, radios, robots, pump stations, air-conditioners, electrical installation of all sewerage works and all other municipal buildings, etc.; and does new service connections and maintains existing service connections.
- Electrical Planning and Design.
- Continuous monitors the networks and plans upgrades and extensions;
- Does cost estimates for projects as well as new connections;
- Keeps maintenance schedules;
- Issues work orders to be carried out by other sections; and
- Upkeep of GIS system and data on assets.