DATE: MONDAY, 29 AUGUST 2016
TIME: 08:30 to 14:00
The following area, DISTILLERY STREET AND SURROUNDINGS will be affected by a power disruption. You are hereby notified in terms of the standard Electricity supply bylaw, that the electricity supply to your premises will be disconnected in order to carry out the necessary modifications and/or maintenance work to the electrical network.
Kindly note that the electricity supply may at any time during the above period be reconnected. The installation must therefore be considered live at all times.
Should it, due to circumstances beyond control, not be possible to undertake the work on the above date, the ALTERNATIVE DATE is: 30 AUGUST 2016.
Change in geyser times for summer
As part of the Energy Demand Side Project, geyser timers that have been installed in households across Drakenstein change with summer approaching. As residents are aware, during high electricity demand timeslots, these units turn off the geyser in an effort to relieve pressure on the electricity network. From 1 September 2016 until 30 June 2017, the geysers will be switched off from 18:00 to 20:00. Residents are reminded to please plan accordingly.
Maintenance at Southern Paarl Substation
The Drakenstein Municipality is currently performing urgent upgrades to the South End Substation located in Southern Paarl, which will be completed in Aug 2016. The upgrades are necessary to replace the existing 66 and 11kV switchgear with new switches. The existing switchgear is 35 years old and worn out. It is not safe enough to keep on using it forever more.
To facilitate the installation of the switchgear, it may be necessary to implement load shedding at times for some of the 11kV networks in the areas of Zoete Inval, Paarl Mall, Simondium, Val de Vie, Backsberg, Santé and Ben Bernard Estate.
The Electricity Department will keep affected consumers informed as to when they may possibly be affected by load shedding, so that the necessary precautions can be put in place.
Please note that there will be times where emergency work may be necessary and then it might not always be possible to inform consumers ahead of time. The Municipality will however do its utmost to keep consumers informed.
Information regarding the load shedding times will be made available by the Electricity Control Centre. The Control Centre is available 24 hours a day and can be contacted on 021 807 4665.
If you would like more information regarding the project, please feel free to contact Mr. Paul De Vries on 021 807 4671.
NOTICE TO ALL WATER CONSUMERS: WATER RESTRICTIONS (Level 2)
Notice is hereby given in terms of Section 4(3) of the Water Services Act, and Section 52 of the Municipal Water Services Bylaw of 2014 that, with effect from 1 February 2016 and until further notice, to limit or restrict the use of water, subject to the exemptions provided for in paragraph 6 hereof, level 2 water restrictions shall apply within the Drakenstein Municipal area:
1. The use of potable water connected directly or indirectly to, or derived from, Council potable water mains for the purpose of watering gardens, lawns, parks and public open spaces is restricted to, as follows:
1.1. One hour, Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays for even street numbered properties, and not between 10:00 and 16:00;
1.2. One hour, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays, for uneven street numbered properties, and not between 10:00 and 16:00;
1.3. any property without a clearly defined street number should revert to watering for one hour on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays, and not between 10:00 and 16:00.
1.4. No watering will be permitted within 24 hours of rainfall that provides adequate saturation.
2. The use of hose pipes connected directly or indirectly to, or derived from Council potable water mains for the purpose of washing or rinsing roofs, buildings, structures, paths, pavements and paved areas, is prohibited.
3. The washing of vehicles is only allowed with hose pipes fitted with automatic self-closing water efficient devices or with waterless products and not between 10:00 and 16:00. The washing of vehicles with buckets is allowed but not between 10:00 and 16:00.
4. All automatic flushing urinals shall be turned off in buildings during times when such buildings are normally vacated.
5. The filling of swimming pools are allowed but not between 10:00 and 16:00
6. The approved level 2 water restrictions, water tariff increase will be applicable from 1st of February 2016.
7. The restrictions referred to in paragraphs (1), (2) and (3) above only, shall not apply:
7.1. for the purpose of watering of plants in nurseries that are conducted for gain, nurseries owned by Council or the State, collections maintained for research purposes, cricket pitches, bowling greens, golf greens, croquet lawns, artificial turf fields and sports fields, but still subject to no watering between 10:00 and 16:00;
7.2 for commercial car wash businesses, however water efficient devices, re-use of water and/or the use of waterless products must be used.
7.3. for commercial businesses providing a service relating to the rinsing of roofs and structures.
7.4. for the washing of certain paved areas at abattoirs and premises used for the processing of food
7.5.. where special exemptions have been granted in writing by Drakenstein Municipality;
7.6.. where other sources of non-potable water are used and a notice indicating the source is erected
in a position clearly visible from a public thoroughfare, but still subject to no watering between 10:00 and 16:00.
8. Any person who contravenes the provisions of this notice shall commit an offence in terms of Section 124 of the Municipal Water Services Bylaw of 2014, and shall be liable to a fine or imprisonment, or both. A flow restricting device may also be fitted to the water connection to such a property, at the consumer’s cost.
9. Any person who wishes to be exempted from the water restrictions must apply in writing to the undersigned.
The co-operation of all residents in this crisis situation for the Western Cape region will be appreciated.
JACQUES CARSTENSACTING MUNICIPAL MANAGER