Change in geyser times for winter
As part of the Energy Demand Side Project, geyser timers that have been installed in households across Drakenstein change when winter approaches. As residents are aware, during high electricity demand timeslots, these units turn off the geyser in an effort to relieve pressure on the electricity network. From 1 June 2016 until 31 August 2016. The geysers will be switched off from 17:00 to 19:00. Residents are reminded to please plan accordingly.
To ensure a safe, effective, uninterrupted and economical electrical engineering service to the community within the Drakenstein municipal supply area.
Office hours reception/Switchboard
021 807 4660
24 hour Complaints Centre / Customer Care
021 807 4665
Drakenstein Electro -Technical Engineering Department is managed by the Deputy Executive Manager, Mr. Willem Albertyn. The Department is responsible for the supply of electricity to the Paarl, Wellington, Simondium and Klapmuts areas. Gouda, Saron and Hermon receive their electricity supply directly from ESKOM.
There are an estimated 48 195 electricity consumers within the Drakenstein area.
The Drakenstein Municipal Notified Demand with ESKOM amounts to 175 MVA per month.
The fields of responsibility include:-
• Operations, Planned Maintenance and new service supplies:
The section is responsible for the operations and maintenance of the following electrical equipment.
• Water and sewerage pump stations.
• Street lighting
• Low voltage network reticulation (Overhead lines and cables)
• High voltage network reticulation (Overhead lines and cables)
• Medium voltage network reticulation (Overhead and cables)
• New services (LV, HV and EHV)
• Bulk metering (LV and HV)
• Pre- paid metering
• Conventional metering
• Electrical municipal building installations
• Electrification of housing projects
• Informal housing electrification
• Electrification of back yard dwellers.
• Co – generation approvals.
• Demand Side Management: Switching all geyser relays to shift electricity load to facilitate national grid stability.
• Operations and maintenance planning
Draft planned and preventative maintenance programs for electrical assets to ensure the optimized utilization of assets and resources to fulfil the operations and maintenance obligations of the municipality.
• Project Management
The management of local electrical and infrastructure programs and project implementation activities. The facilitation of backlog studies and environmental impact assessments of projects when necessary in co-ordination with other departments.
• Financial Management
Responsible for project managing and administration of MIG, DORA, INEP and OPEX and CAPEX budget funding for electrical operational and capital projects.
• Contract Administration
Management coordination and the administration of service agreements and contracts with contractors and consultants.
• Community Liaison
Participation meetings and events in respect of projects to be expedited to ensure buy-in and long term sustainability of the projects by the community.
• Job creation
Implement, EPWP job creation projects as required and provide statistical information for all projects to the EPWP Coordinator for reporting purposes.
• IDP process
Co-ordination of the project identification and feasibility process between departments, in terms of the relevant IDPs.
• After hours services
Provide an after- hours standby service to ensure the continuity of electrical supplies to all services.
• Energy Efficiency
Carry out energy efficiency feasibility studies and implement projects to retrofit municipal buildings and infrastructure to facilitate energy reduction measures.
• Alternative electrical energy and generation.
Processing of PV installation applications as required i.t.o. Safety Legislation, and approval of applicable metering and co-generation tariffs.
• Smart metering
At present test sites are being prepared for a Smart Metering project to establish the effect of Time Of Use tariffs on the domestic component of the municipalities consumer base.
For your convenience, links have been provided on the right hand side of the page for:-
2. Latest tariffs
3. Co-generation (PV) information and application forms
4. Electricity Supply by-Laws
5. Service application forms
CONTACT DETAILS OF SECTIONS WITHIN THE DEPARTMENT
CONTACT INFORMATION FOR THE DEPARTMENT
Secretary of the Deputy Executive Manager – Electro Technical Engineering.
Tel: 021 807 4661
Fax: 021 870 1912
Electro-technical Engineering Reception
Tel: 021 807 4660
Fax: 021 8724074
Responsible for the installation of:
• Single phase connections
• Three phase connections (conventional and pre- paid)
Mr. M. Verhoeven
Tel: 021 807 4667
• Maintaining all the transformers on the network
• Maintaining of all switchgear on the network
• Handling cable faults.
Mr. M. Fredericks
Tel: 021 807 4666
• Finding faults on cables
• Handling the SCADA network
Tracing of cable faults can only be scheduled after application for way leave has been received by the Planning section.
Mr. P. De Vries
Tel: 021 807 4671
Overhead Lines and Cables
- Provide inspection and preventative maintenance services with regard to electricity lines and cables.
- Ensure sustainable electricity provisioning
Mr. E. Andrews
Tel: 021 807 4673
Energy Efficiency and awareness
Mr. B. Tsobze:
Tel: 021 807 4681
Wellington and Surrounding towns.
Mr. E. Erasmus
- Provide maintenance services with regard to electricity substations.
- Render maintenance services with regard to electricity lines and network cables in the area.
- Render electricity maintenance service in council buildings, facilities, water and sewerage pumps and streetlights.
Tel: 021 8076294
- Render electricity maintenance service in council buildings and facilities.
- Render electricity maintenance services with regard to water and sewerage plants and pumps.
- Render an electricity maintenance service with regard to street and traffic lights.
Mr.B. MatjanElectrical planning and design
Tel: 021 8074660
Planning and preparing cost estimation for:
• New three phase connections
• Upgrades to three phase connections
• Any maintenance that needs to be done on the network.
DEPUTY EXECUTIVE MANAGER:
Mr. Willem Albertyn
Tel: 021 807 4663
Fax: 021 870 1912
APPLICATION FORM FOR ELECTRICITY SUPPLY
For English click here
For Afrikaans click here
Co Generator Application Form click here
Application process - Drakenstein Guidelines for Embedded Generation click here
APPLICATION FORM CAN BE HANDED IN AT RECEPTION OR FAXED TO:
Mr L Laing
Tel: 021 807 7746
Fax to email: 086 645 6457
Ms N Tshula
Tel: 021 807 4669
Fax to email: 086 606 9808
Mrs A Adams
Tel: 021 807 4684
Fax to email: 086 269 9587