The Executive Mayor of the Drakenstein Municipality was appointed in terms of section 55 of the Municipal Structures Act. The Executive Mayor represents the public face and is the chief political principal of the municipality. In terms of legislation she has the following functions:
- identify the needs of the municipality;
- review and evaluate those needs in order of prioritize;
- recommend to the Municipal Council strategies, programmes, and services to address priority needs through the Integrated Development Plan, and the estimates of revenue and expenditure, taking into account any applicable national and provincial development plans; and
- recommend or determine the best way, including partnership and other approaches, to deliver those strategies, programmes and services to the benefit of the community.
The Executive Mayor is supported by an Executive Deputy Mayor and a Mayoral Committee.
Each member of the Mayoral Committee has a portfolio with specific functions.
The administrative arm that assists the Executive Mayor and the Mayoral committee are headed by the Municipal Manager and is task to implement the broad political objectives of Council. The Municipal Manager heads up the
administration of the Municipality.
The administration is made up of the following directorates:
- Corporate Services,
- Planning and Economic Development,
- Infrastructure Services,
- Financial Services and
- Community Services.